Rest in sweet peace.

On August 26th, 2011 at 5 pm.  My grandfather died joining his angel wife in heaven.  His suffering is over, and now ours begins.

I happened to be over at my parents ranting and raving about very trivial things when my Mom got off work, walked through the door, listened and let me get out before I took one genuine look at her face and realized that something was very very wrong.

We knew the day was coming.  The nurse said 1 to 2 weeks just earlier this week.  For over a year now he has been fighting congestive heart failure and the pain of leaving his house and freedom behind when he was admitted permanently to the nursing home last summer.

Rob and I were thankful to spend a day with him in June when we got home.  It was a "good day" for him.  He was alert, awake and there with us that day.  He raved about how wonderful the strawberry milkshake was that we brought him from Dairy Queen and I left feeling content and happy.. that was the last time I saw him.

Now I'm left with the thoughts of how much I will miss his stories, his random laughter, his theories about life, his hugs, buckling him into the car (even when he was healthy and we were young..).. just everything.  All the memories, the laughter, the years.  Next to my Grandma Ritter, Grandpa Johnson was one of the best things to happen to me.  And now he's gone.

It's going to take so long to realize this.  And while mourning the loss, I have to be strong for my mom.  She reminds me of a kid right now.  So lost, and so sad.

But at the end of the day, we have to be at peace knowing that he is no longer in pain.. he's free.


Just keep us in your prayers please..

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment